Curry Beef is a delicious meal that your whole family will enjoy. It features tender beef, potatoes, and carrots with curry spices and is braised in coconut milk. It’s rich, flavorful, and delicious with steamed rice.
Chicken Curry is a favorite of mine and my personal favorite. This savory stew is loved by everyone, so I decided to add beef curry to our collection of curry recipes.
Curry Beef , like our chicken version, is a hearty stew made up of meat, potatoes, and carrots.
For a delicious, tender dish that pairs well with steamed rice, first, sear the beef chunks. Then gently simmer in coconut milk and curry spices until tender.
Cooking Tips for Curry Beef
For long slow cooking of beef stews, cheaper cuts and tougher meats are better. Avoid leaner and more expensive meats such as tenderloin, which can become tough and chewy. Instead, choose chuck or bottom-round roast, which will be tender and flavorful.
To prevent the carrots and potatoes from getting mushy when they are added to the stew, pan-fry them.
Pat dry the beef and then sear it. The meat’s natural sugars will caramelize if properly browned. This will enhance the dish’s savory flavor.
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 average potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch cubes
- 2 big carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (13.5 ounces) coconut milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 pints beef chuck roast, slice into 2-inch solids
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cored, planted and slice into strips
- 1/2 green bell pepper, cored, planted and slice into strips
- Heat oil in a big pan over average hotness.
- Cook potatoes for 3-4 minutes, or until tender and lightly browned. Drain on paper towels after removing the potatoes from the pan.
- Cook carrots for 1 to 2 minutes. Take out of the pan and let cool on paper towels.
- Save 2 tablespoons of oil in the pot. Place beef in one layer. Sear for 2 to 3 minutes each side.
- Stir in the garlic and onions.
- Continue to cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Bring to boil water. Skim off any scum from the top. Reduce heat to medium, cover and simmer for approximately 1 to 1 1/2 hours until the beef is tender.
- Continue to simmer coconut milk until the liquid has reduced slightly.
- Cook potatoes and carrots for 3 to 5 minutes, or until tender.
- Stir in curry powder. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes, or until preserve enlarges. Salt to taste.
- Cook bell peppers for 1 minute, or until crisp and tender. Serve immediately.
How to serve Curry Beef
- Over medium heat, heat oil in a large pan.
- Let potatoes cook for about 3-4 minutes or until tender. After removing the potatoes from their pan, drain them onto paper towels.
- Cook carrots for about 1 to 2 minutes. Let cool in the pan.
- Keep two tablespoons of oil in your pot. Place the beef in one layer. Sear each side for 2 to 3 mins.
- Mix in the onions and garlic.
- Cook for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Bring water to a boil. Remove any scum and grit from the top. Reduce heat to medium and cover the pot. Let it simmer for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until the beef is tender.
- Keep simmering coconut milk until it has reduced in volume.
- For potatoes and carrots, cook for 3 to 5 min or until tender.
- Stir in the curry powder. Cook for 3 to 5 mins or until the preserve is thickened. Salt to taste
- Bell peppers can be cooked for one minute or until tender. Serve immediately